Saturday, January 30, 2010

Day 37

God Uses The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly To Further The Gospel!

“And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.” Romans 8:28
Romans 8:18-35, 1 Peter 1:6-9, Acts 9:1-31, and Luke 22:54-62.

Throughout my life I have experienced the good, the bad, and the ugly. Some situations I was put in unwillingly and others I jumped into with both feet all on my own! When I came back into a relationship with God in my early twenties, I felt guilt and shame for some of the things I had done. I knew I wanted God to use me to speak a message of hope and healing, but I wanted to pick and choose what I shared, so I wouldn’t come under judgment. You see I was a Christian when I did those things. And in my experience the church had amazing grace for unbeliever’s who made bad choices, but not for believer’s who did the same.

So I didn’t mind sharing the good or the bad, but I sure didn’t want to share the ugly! Somehow I felt that my past actions would discount my credibility and that people wouldn’t listen to the message God wanted to speak through me. So for a couple of years I didn’t share those accounts. One day I got invited to a woman’s conference and one of the guest speakers was Sheri Rose Shepherd. When she stepped onto the stage I was in awe because of her beauty! She had a long list of accomplishments, including being a former Mrs. Untied States.

At that moment, the enemy began a mental assault against me that went something like this, “See Holly you can’t be on that stage! You have screwed up your life so much and no one will listen to you. You have no major accomplishments and there is no way God can use you.” I began to feel ashamed of my past and almost left, but a still, quiet voice spoke to me and said, “Don’t leave, I want you here.” I knew it was the voice of the Holy Spirit so I chose to stay. As Sheri gave her testimony I was in shock at what I heard! She shared her personal struggles and her major trials, many of which happened after she had said yes to Jesus Christ! She shared it all! Then she shared the story of how God redeemed everything and turned her pain and poor choices for her good and His glory! I was overjoyed with what I heard! From that moment on I knew that God would use everything from a person’s life as a testimony of His great faithfulness and love, if they would allow Him to.

After that event I began to look at people’s lives in the Bible who had royally screwed up, and how God used them in mighty ways to further His message. The list was overwhelming! I had heard the stories before but this time they came to life when I read them. For example: Jacob was a liar, Rahab was a prostitute, David was an adulterer and a murderer, Peter denied Jesus, Paul killed God’s people, Jonah ran away from God, and the list goes on and on! But here’s the important truth: there is not one example of a person who turned their heart towards God or back towards God, who God didn’t work everything they had done, for their good and His glory!

A modern day example is Gospel recording artist, Michael English. He went through a horrible time in his life several years ago. At the time he had sold millions of albums, had multiple Dove awards, and he was at the height of his career. Then he had an affair, lost his marriage, became addicted to drugs, and wound up homeless for a time. He was definitely in the pit of despair! Many people wrote him off, but God never did, and neither did some of his brothers and sisters in Christ! When Michael decided to re-enter a relationship with God, God turned his “ugly mess” into a beautiful portrait of redemption that is now being used for his good and God’s glory!

It is best not to put human limits on the God who is not constrained by time! At any moment in time He can work a miracle in the life of a repentant soul! I want to encourage you to study the many stories of redemption found in the Bible, and the lives of modern day men and women who have been through experiences similar to Michaels. Be willing to allow the Holy Spirit to teach you the truth about God’s desire to turn all of His people’s “ugly messes” into beautiful portraits of redemption, including yours. God wants to use your testimony of redemption to further His Gospel message.

He says to you today, “I don’t care where you’ve been or what you’ve done, give all your messes to Me. I am faithful to My people and I will work all things together for your good and My glory! I love you and I have a plan and a purpose for your life! I know it may look impossible to you, but remember what is impossible with man, is possible with Me! I know the end from the beginning and I will restore what has been destroyed and I will redeem what has been lost. I love you with an everlasting love and in Me there is no condemnation. Call on Me and I will hear and answer you!”

Prayer: I believe by faith that You are the God of redemption and at any moment when a person turns to You, You will turn their life into a testimony that will further Your message of grace and redemption. If I have judged people who have fallen, keep my foot from slipping into the same temptations that I judge, while You are teaching me Your Word in this area. Cleanse me from the feelings of condemnation in my own life and show me Your plan to use my life story as a testimony of Your love and faithfulness. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment