Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 33

Abundance Is Found On The Journey, Not Just At The Destination!

“The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.” John 10:10 NKJ

I love to travel! In fact if I had it my way I would constantly be heading somewhere new! I have always dreamt of owning an RV and traveling the country with my family; teaching and training women and teenagers about the love of God, and His incredible purpose for their lives. But I used to only dream about the destinations and what it would be like when we finally arrived there. I don’t do that anymore because I have realized that while the destination will be a joyful experience; the joy on the journey to reach it, is just as rewarding and fulfilling.

I discovered this truth also applies to being a Christian. When I accepted Christ as my Savior I did it with a joyful expectation of Heaven and one day walking on streets paved with gold. I pictured myself playing with the lions, and flying like an angel, and many more imaginations of what Heaven would be like. While the experience in Heaven will be far more than I ever anticipated, I have realized that the journey to my destination is just as exciting and fulfilling if I am willing to embrace it!

Many people live the way I did and put all of their hope and expectancy in that glorious day when they get to Heaven. But on earth they struggle from day to day, trying to put on a happy face. They view the journey as a hard road they are required to travel if they want to reach their destination. Unfortunately this mindset blocks them from living an abundant life on earth. While it is true that we face battles every day, and we will not be free from the everyday struggles until we get to Heaven; it is not true that we can’t live in abundance on earth. Jesus Words in John 10:10 makes it clear that He has given us the ability to live an abundant life while we are still here.

If you could have an abundance of anything you wanted in your Christian life, what would it be? Maybe you find it difficult to be joyful because you have experienced great pains in life. If so, would you like God to give you an abundance of joy? Maybe you have a poverty mindset because you have always been broke. If so, would you like an abundance of finances so you can support ministries and give to your favorite charities? Maybe you have a hard time being hopeful because so many of the things you hoped for never materialized. If so, would you like an abundance of hope so you can bring hope to others? Maybe you have a difficult time showing love because love has been withheld from you in the past. If so, would you like an abundance of love to give to the people in your life?

All of these things and many more are available to us here on earth, not just when you get to Heaven, but we have to believe it first. Napoleon Hill once said, “What the mind of man can conceive and believe it can achieve.” This s a powerful statement and it directly correlates to this devotional and gives a model to follow, in order to experience abundance in our lives on the journey of faith.

First we have to conceive the truth that Jesus spoke in John 10:10, and like a mother who conceives a child, we have to realize that conception is just the beginning. But without conceptualizing that an abundant life on earth is possible, we will not be able to experience it. After we have conceived it then we have to believe what He spoke, no matter how contrary His words might seem to our own reality. You could say this is like the 9 months of carrying a baby in the womb. An inner working has to take place in us, and we have to nurture it until it is ready to be birthed. After these have taken place, we will be ready to achieve living in the abundance that Jesus promises in this verse.

Once we have given birth to the belief that we can live in abundance on earth, we have the responsibility to nurture and care for our belief, until it has grown into maturity. When that happens then our minds will not be deceived by the enemy and he will not be able to swoop in to steal, kill, or destroy our belief in God’s promise to give us an abundant life on earth.

I want to encourage you to spend time seeking wisdom in this area. Ask God to reveal if you have had your mind set on the abundance that awaits you at the destination of Heaven, but not believed it was available for you on earth. Ask Him to reveal the depth of meaning found in John 10:10. Be willing to let go of your preconceived notions so the Holy Spirit can lead you in the truth of God’s promise for abundance in your life.

Prayer: I believe by faith that Your promises are true! I release my preconceived notions to You and I submit myself to the Holy Spirit to be taught the truth that Jesus speaks of in John 10:10. I believe by faith that You have an abundance stored up for me in Heaven and an abundance stored up for me on earth. I believe Your truth over my reality and I commit my ways to You. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment