Friday, January 8, 2010

Day 15

“Sit Down!”- “No!” - I Said, “Sit Down!”- “Okay, I’ll Sit Down!”

“Then Jesus said, “Make the people sit down.” Now there was much grass in the place. So the men sat down, in number about five thousand.” John 6:10 NKJ

I can only imagine what it must have been like on that day with 5,000 men, plus women and children all trying to get settled, in order to hear a word from Jesus. Imagine the noise, the dust, the crying babies, the stench of animals, and the chaos that was present. The people must have been tired, hot, anxious, cranky, curious, and to top it off, hungry! Jesus wanted to speak to them and to feed them, but first He had to quiet them down! He knew there had to be order if the people were going to be able to hear Him speak and receive His message. So He says, “Make the people sit down.”

Oh how I hated those words growing up! It seemed I was always being told by my parents, teachers, and church leaders, to sit down! I was a rambunctious child who was always on the go! Every opportunity I got I was out of my seat and running around. I couldn’t wait for the bell to ring so I could go to the playground and play kickball or softball. There were girls who played house but not me! That would have been torturous!

My need to be on the move didn’t end with childhood either. As a teen I was always coming and going from somewhere. I had to be moving or I was bored out of my mind! When it came time to get a job I picked jobs that allowed me the freedom to move. First I delivered pizzas and then I worked at a local amusement park, and finally I took jobs working with people with special needs. I remember one time I went to a temp agency and took the aptitude tests. They told me I could never have an office job where it required me to sit for hours a day. That just confirmed what I knew to be true so I wasn’t offended by their comment.

But something changed in me several years ago when I was confronted by my mom and a dear friend. In love they told me God was trying to speak to me but I was so busy running around I wasn’t able to hear Him. At first I was very annoyed at their accusation because I had led quite a productive life being active, and I felt betrayed that they couldn’t see all the great things I was doing for God. But several weeks later their words began to play over and over in my head. I was reminded of the story of Mary and Martha. I opened the Bible and read it. The voice of the Holy Spirit began to speak to me through that story. I asked God to teach me how to be more like Mary and how to sit down at His feet so I could learn from Him.

I must say that learning to “sit down” in order to hear the messages God wanted to speak to me was very difficult! And it didn’t come naturally! It took a long time to get comfortable not running and gunning from place to place doing the Lord’s work. It meant I had to say no to requests for volunteering and I had to say no to several other invitations to be in Christian service. I didn’t have to stop everything during those years of learning to “sit down”, but I did have to set boundaries to keep me from over committing myself! And I am so grateful I did!

In learning to sit down and to listen to God’s messages I discovered His purpose for my life! His words have nourished me and filled me far beyond anything I could have ever fed myself in trying to feed His people! When the Bible says, “Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who trusts in Him!” in Psalm 34:8 the psalmist isn’t kidding! Feeding on God’s Word is the most fulfilling nutrient in life you will ever consume!

Maybe you can identify with me in this area or maybe you know someone like this. If this scenario fits you then I want to encourage you to do as I did. Take the time to learn how to “sit down” in the presence of the Lord and learn from Him. If this scenario fits someone you know pray that God will give you the grace filled words like he gave my mom and friend so you can speak this truth to them in love.It is really funny how God works in our lives when we take the time to “sit down” and learn from Him.

One of the things I enjoy the most in life now, is being alone in a room, in complete silence, and reading or writing words of inspiration. God also turned that energy of mine for my good and His glory because now I am a motivational speaker and coach. I love how creative He is! Take some time and ask God to reveal any area of your life where you need to “sit down’ and learn from Him. He is faithful and as you spend quiet time with Him, He will teach you everything you need to learn.

Prayer: I praise you for seeking me and for asking me to spend time with You. I believe by faith that as I sit down at your feet I will learn from you. I believe by faith that you will fill me with the nutrients for my life from your Word and your Spirit! I praise you for not abandoning me even when I run from you. I commit myself to becoming a student of your Word and I will see it bring forth fruit in my life that I will be able to share with others in due time. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment