Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day 28

Oh God Don’t Make Me Forgive Those People!

“Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?” Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.” Matthew 18:21 & 22 NKJ

Throughout my life I have experienced pain in relationships, when someone has wounded me with their words or actions. Each time I cried out to God to avenge me because of the injustice! I spent countless hours mulling over the situation, trying to make sense of it. I would ask God, “Why did they do this to me?” “Can’t they see how they have wounded me?” I was tormented with thoughts of despair and had a hard time letting it go. This caused me to question other relationships, and I found myself withdrawing into isolation. I began to become suspicious of people and had a very hard time trusting anybody.

During those times in life I rarely experienced peace and I spent a lot of mental energy focusing on my pain. This caused me to slowly become depressed and angry towards people. One day I met a woman who was struggling with the same issues and she recounted her painful experiences. Unfortunately, I was unable to help her deal with it, because I had never dealt with my own. This caused me great sorrow because I knew she needed me in her time of trouble, to lead her to the place called forgiveness. This encounter motivated me to seek God’s wisdom because I never wanted to find myself in that place again.

Over the course of several weeks God began to do a work in my heart that completely changed my life! The Holy Spirit led me to the account of Jesus’ time in the Garden of Gethsemane, and then his subsequent betrayal and crucifixion. I learned a lot of lessons during that time of study which released me from my prison of despair, and led me to the place at the foot of the Cross, called forgiveness.

The first lesson I learned was that when Christ suffered He cried out to God so greatly that He sweated drops of blood! He asked God if there was any way to take this cup from Him, but then said, “Nevertheless not My will, but Yours, be done.” (Luke 22:41 -44) So I learned that crying out to God is okay and that in the midst of my despair: God has a plan and purpose. The second lesson I learned is that sometimes people will betray us, but their betrayal always plays into God’s bigger plan of redemption. (Luke 22:47-49) Then I learned that sometimes people will deny us, even if they have seen God work in our lives. But at some point they will weep for their actions just like Peter did, but we cannot control when that takes place. (Luke 22:54-62)

I learned that in times of accusation or abuse we don’t always see God’s bigger plan in the midst of the situation! There are times when we have no control over other people’s actions, but God never leaves us or forsakes us during those times. (Luke 22:66-23:1-33) But when we submit ourselves to Him and resist the temptation to harbor unforgiveness and anger, He leads us into understanding, and to the place called forgiveness, “Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do. (Luke 23:34)

And finally I learned that the action of forgiveness frees us to accomplish God’s purpose in ushering others into the presence of God. In the midst of our own suffering other people are watching our reactions. The world offers no hope to those who need a Savior. And we never know who is in our midst who needs to know the love and forgiveness of God. “Then he said to Jesus, “Lord, remember me when You come into Your kingdom.” And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.” (Luke 23:42 & 43) As Christians God calls us to lead people into His Kingdom! And the best way to do that is to lead by example, by putting the enemy’s work of unforgiveness to death with the blood of the Lamb and by the word of our testimony. (Revelation 12:10-12)

At the Cross Jesus destroyed the devil’s ability to destroy us! Though he may come against us to accuse us or wound us, he only gains a foothold when we slide down the slippery slope of unforgiveness or bitterness. When we deny him the right to hold us in the prison of unforgiveness and bitterness, by forgiving those who have offended us, he has to flee! This is when we experience the true peace that passes understanding, and become open to hearing God speak His purpose and His plan of redemption in the situation.

Prayer: I believe by faith today that Jesus suffered injustice on my behalf and I choose to forgive those who have wounded me. I will meditate on Your Word when I have been offended or wounded so that the devil does not gain a foothold in my life, through unforgiveness. I release those people who I have judged in my unforgiveness, and I will testify of Your faithfulness, which will lead others into Your Kingdom. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment