Friday, January 29, 2010

Day 36

I Have Yet To Read The “Yeah But” Gospel!

Bless the LORD, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with loving-kindness and tender mercies, Who satisfies your mouth with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. Psalm 103:1-5 NKJ

I can’t even count the number of times I have sat with Christians and spoke a truth from God’s Word in regards to a circumstance they were facing, only to have them reply, “Yeah but”………….. For example when a woman asked me to pray for her to be healed and I claimed Psalm 103:3, she responded, “Yeah but He doesn’t always choose to heal, so I’ve accepted that I may have to deal with this for the rest of my life. I just want him to give me some relief so I can function day to day.”

Or another time when someone asked me to pray for them because they were struggling financially and I prayed 2 Corinthians 8:9 that says, “For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich.” Only to have them respond, “Yeah but Jesus said it isn’t good to be rich because it is hard for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. So I don’t want to be rich. I just want to pay my bills. That’s good enough for me.”

One woman who was trying to get pregnant asked me to pray for her and I prayed Psalm 113:9, “He grants the barren woman a home, like a joyful mother of children. Praise the LORD!” Then she replied, “Well I know it may not be God’s will for me to have children, so I don’t want to make a demand on Him, I just think it would be great to give birth to my own children. If not, then I can adopt.”

Are you beginning to see a common denominator here? Saying “Yeah but” has become second nature for many people because they question if God’s Word really applies to them. They can pray and stand in faith for others, but when it comes to their own lives, they have doubt that God would really perform His Word in their situation. This doubt causes them to accept an unnecessary defeat in areas where they could experience incredible victory. While it is true that we don’t know how a situation will turn out, giving up without a fight ensures the outcome will end in defeat.

It is important for us to understand that if one person on the face of the earth has experienced a miracle, we too can experience a miracle! God isn’t a respecter of persons and He doesn’t pick and choose who his benefits go to like some sadistic dictator. All of his benefits apply to all of His people! What makes a person adopt the “yeah but” attitude is when they don’t see the benefit manifest in the time frame they have put on God to perform it. This causes them to doubt God’s Word, and in order to salve their conscience from feeling that God has somehow not chosen them, they adopt a false belief about God.

This false belief is a comfort to them that keeps them from feeling let down by God. God is not confined by time or circumstance. Look at all of the examples in the Bible where God’s people had to wait a long time in order to see His benefits manifest in their lives. We cannot be sure of God’s timing, but we can be sure of His promises and that He will perform His Word in our lives. I want to encourage you to study the stories of people like Moses, Noah, Abraham, Joshua, Paul, Mary, and the countless others who had to wait a long time to see the benefits of God manifest in their lives.

Then ask God if you have adopted a “yeah but” mindset that has caused you to give up praying for a miracle. Ask Him to reveal His Word to you and to give you wisdom and understanding. Then ask the Holy Spirit to guide you into all truth in regards to God’s benefits for your life. Stand strong in the measure of faith, and ask God to give you strength so you don’t become weary or faint during your time of waiting. If you have believed God’s ability to perform His word applies to everyone except you, begin to battle the deception the enemy has imposed on you. God is faithful to His word and to his people! Believe by faith and remind yourself of the benefits He has promised His people, and that includes you.

Prayer: I rebuke the words “yeah but” and I choose to believe your benefits apply to me! I praise You for being faithful to Your Word to perform it in my life. I choose to remind myself of Your benefits and will stand strong in the measure of faith you have given me, until I see those benefits manifest in my life. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment