Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 18

The Spirit Controlled Tongue Doesn’t Start Fires of Destruction!

“Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things. See how great a forest a little fire kindles! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell. For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind. But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. James 3:5-9 NKJ

Years ago I worked as a contract firefighter for the forest service. One day we got called to fight the Multnomah Falls fire near Portland, Oregon. This was my first experience fighting fires. I remember driving up the cat trail to the top of the mountain as the flames were above the road we were driving on. I was overwhelmed by the intensity of the moment and wondered how one small flame of fire could cause such tremendous destruction!

When we arrived on top of the mountain the intensity grew! We could see where the fire was burning and watched in amazement as the helicopters flew overhead heading to the Columbia Gorge to fill their buckets with water. Hundreds of firefighters were battling the blaze that was threatening to destroy the historic Multnomah Falls Lodge.

We quickly got out of the truck and began pulling hoses towards the “hot spots”. I turned on the hose and started spraying a tree stump. After several minutes I was convinced it was out and I turned and started walking towards another stump. Before I reached it I heard a crackling sound behind me, and when I looked back, the stump I had just put out was once again on fire! The crew leader came over and told me fire is the most unpredictable force of nature and you have to take great care in making sure you extinguish it completely!

After days of battling the blaze the fire was finally put out! Unfortunately it had burned thousands of acres in the process. Looking at the aftermath and the amount of damage the fire caused really had an impact on me! I knew it would take years for the forest to regenerate but the reality was that the landscape had been forever changed because of the fire.

Remembering that event and reading James 3 in reference of the tongue, really gives me a new understanding of how important it is to control our tongue before we set a conversation ablaze! The words we speak can be just as, if not more, damaging to a person than that fire was to the forest! A hateful word spoken in anger can burn an imprint on the brain of the person it is spoken to, and leave long lasting devastation. I know many people who are still suffering from the effects of hateful words spoken to them years ago.

There are many passages in the Bible that teach us the importance of choosing our words wisely. While it is clear in this Scripture that we cannot completely tame the tongue, we can gain control over it by the power of the Holy Spirit! When we give the Spirit of God permission to be the authority over our tongue and we renew our minds with the Word of God daily, we have power over our tongue!

This starts by releasing our own memories of past verbal abuse to God, and allowing Him to heal us first. It is important to understand that what we don’t release we repeat. Or as I like to say, hurting people, hurt people. But when we heal from our past trauma and renew our minds to God’s word, we are able to receive the power of the Holy Spirit in us. God is faithful and He will anoint our tongue as we release the control of it to Him. Begin today to ask God to heal you from hurtful words spoken into your life. And ask Him to fill you with the power of the Holy Spirit so you have power over your tongue. Before you open your mouth to speak say a silent prayer that the words you speak will be life giving and encouraging. Even if you are in the midst of an argument and getting angry, the Holy Spirit is still present and available if you are willing to give over the control of your tongue.

Take time to meditate on Scriptures that speak about the words of your mouth. If you have a quick tongue, practice counting to ten before you respond. If you feel you cannot keep your tongue from starting a blaze, take a time out and collect your thoughts and pray. If you have burned an imprint on the mind of someone with your words, go to them, and ask forgiveness. The Spirit will guide you in this as you give over the control of your tongue.

Prayer: Thank you for making a way for me to control the words I speak by the power of your Spirit working in me. I believe by faith that as I release the control of my tongue to the Spirit I will gain control over it. I praise you for healing me from the destructive words spoken to me, and I praise you for teaching me how to be one who speaks life and not death. I believe by faith that I will see the fruit of the Spirit in self control as I yield my tongue to You. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment