Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 11

Words are Either Weapons of Destruction or Instruments of Hope & Healing!

“A perverse man sows strife, and a whisperer separates the best of friends.” Proverbs 16:28 NKJ “He who covers and forgives an offense seeks love, but he who repeats or harps on a matter separates even close friends.” Proverbs 17:9 AMP

I have always been a very trusting individual who thinks the best of the people I associate with. I try to use my words to build people up and to encourage them. I have never been one given to gossip or backbiting. In fact those are two of my pet peeves in life. Though at times I have been guilty of it, I try to steer clear of those kinds of conversations. I know how hurtful it is to be on the receiving end of gossip, and I would never want anyone else to feel the sting of words ill-spoken!

Unfortunately, many people repeat information about others on a constant basis, thinking they are justified for one reason or another. These people usually suffer from a very low self image and try to make themselves feel better by putting others down. They never weigh the consequences of their actions because they are oblivious to them. We all struggle with this from time to time, but we need to be aware of how destructive it is. Not only does it wound the individual being spoken of and the person you are speaking to, it also wounds you on the inside.

For instance: Just the other day I was speaking to a friend. We have a mutual friend who can be very inappropriate in how they act sometimes. I knew some information I felt needed to be shared. I had kept quiet for a long time but a circumstance came along where I felt the need to reveal information to my friend. Afterward I was torn up inside because though my intentions were right, it was still not right for me to share that information. For two days I suffered from an upset stomach. I prayed about it, studied the Word, and asked God for wisdom, which is where this devotional was birthed. God was faithful and gave me wisdom and after confronting my actions my stomach settled. So may you learn from my mistakes so you do not make the same ones yourself.

Being a Christian doesn’t automatically make us think, speak, or act right. Just as many Christians are guilty of gossiping and repeating a matter as non-Christians. The saddest thing in confronting a Christian who repeats a matter is they usually justify it by saying something like, “Well God wants us to reveal the truth and all I am doing is speaking truth.” Or they might say, “If I don’t say something how will people know to steer clear of that person? They have issues.” This is the snare I found myself in the other day. I felt justified and reasoned my actions away with Christian lingo. So I know these truths well and can speak about them with authority.

In my study and meditation here is what I discovered. While God does want us to speak truth he gives us guidelines on speaking it. Truth is to be spoken to impart grace to the hearers. Ephesians 4:29 AMP says it this way, “Let no foul or polluting language, nor evil word nor unwholesome or worthless talk [ever] come out of your mouth, but only such [speech] as is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others, as is fitting to the need and the occasion, that it may be a blessing and give grace (God's favor) to those who hear it.”

It is not, and has never been, our responsibility to bring about justice through tearing someone else down with our words, intentionally or unintentionally. And repeating a matter or speaking negatively about a person does just that! Our words either build up or tear down and no one can choose our words except for us. Studies have now proven that words spoken about a person, even when they are not present, have an impact on them. The spoken word has incredible power!

To show the power of the spoken word here is a thought to ponder: God spoke and life was created! Jesus spoke and the Fig tree died! Judas spoke and Jesus died! God spoke and Jesus came back to life! So my question is what are you speaking into existence and are your words creating life or death in the lives of your friends? One of my favorite verses that proves the impact of our words on our friends is Proverbs 27:17. It reads, “Iron sharpens iron; so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend [to show rage or worthy purpose].” AMP

Our words literally sharpen the countenance of our friends faces either to show rage or worthy purpose! When we realize that the face of our friends reflect a countenance of the words spoken into their life, it shows us how important it is to choose our words wisely! Join me today in making a conscious decision to weigh the words you are going to speak to someone, or about someone. Our words will either be a weapon of destruction or an instrument of hope and healing, and we get to choose which one it is!

Prayer: May the words I speak bring life and grace to the hearer. I know I have been given the power of life or death in my tongue and today I commit to being a life giver! I praise you for the Holy Spirit who guides me into all truth and who has revealed the need to weigh my words! I praise you for the ability to change, and I believe by faith that as I change the words I speak, I will see positive results in my life, and the lives of my friends! Thank you for my friends and may I always build them up and encourage them in spiritual progress. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment