Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 61

How To Experience Victory When Trouble Comes!

Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me; You will stretch out Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Your right hand will save me. The LORD will perfect that which concerns me; Your mercy, O LORD, endures forever; Do not forsake the works of Your hands.” Psalm 138:7-8 NKJ

Growing up I thought my parents gave me the wrong middle name because teachers and other people in authority, always told me my middle name was trouble. It seemed that no matter where trouble was, I was there. Sometimes I was an innocent party and other times I was the instigator of the trouble. But it didn’t matter what the scenario, I seemed to find trouble, like a bee finds nectar. What always amazed me though was how faithful God was to deliver me each and every time from the trouble. In writing this devotion I looked up the meaning of my real middle name, which is Ann, and to my delight I found out it is of Hebrew origin and it means “favored grace”! Now that is definitely a more accurate name for me than trouble. Each time I was ever in trouble God in His great mercy showed me favored grace, and delivered me out of my troubles. And what I want you to know is that He will do the same for you!

Today I want to talk to you about two kinds of people and show you how different mindsets determine how we respond when trouble comes our way. The first person is the person who tries to muscle through it on their own only to end up angry, exhausted, and frustrated at God and others. A quote from the great theologian Dr. Seuss gives us a picture of this kind of person. “I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" Of course Dr. Seuss was not a theologian but this is a wonderful word picture of the person who tries to battle trouble in their own strength.

If this person had a theme song it would be, “Nobody Knows the Trouble I’ve Seen” and their favorite quotes would come from cartoon characters like Elmer Fudd, “It’ll NEVER WORK”! They view the glass as half empty and life as burdensome and full of troubles they have to accept. When you talk to them they tell you a million reasons why they can’t do something and no matter how you try to encourage them, they deny your words. Do you know anyone like this? Pray for them!

The next person is the one who understands that in this life they will have many troubles, but they take heart because they understand that Jesus overcame the world at the Cross. They understand that their strength comes from their hope in Christ alone to deliver them from their troubles. Whether unforeseen and caused by others, or whether they got into them all on their own, they know the One who saves them! Their theme song would be The Battle Hymn of the Republic, “Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord; He is trampling out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored; He hath loosed the fateful lightning Of His terrible swift sword; His truth is marching on. Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! Glory! Glory! Hallelujah! His truth is marching on. I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel: "As ye deal with my contemners, So with you My grace shall deal": Let the Hero born of woman Crush the serpent with His heel, Since God is marching on.”

They have a quiet confidence and know who they are and whose they are! They shut out the voices of their enemies and their own voice of doubt, and they stand strong in their faith; waiting for the Lord’s rescue! Though many troubles come they take each one to the Cross! They remind the devil of his defeat and tell their own mind to align with the Truth of God’s Word! This causes their spirit to be revived in the midst of their troubles and hope arises in their hearts once again! They are strengthened in their inner man and shout victorious praise before their physical eyes see victory! They believe by faith that what God promises He performs!

My question to all of us today is which kind of person are we? If you are the first person I want you to know there is hope. Spend time with the Lord and wait on Him. Meditate in His Word and pray for the eyes of your understanding to be opened. Search for wisdom as a precious treasure worth finding! If you are the second kind of person find brothers and sisters in Christ who are more like the first person. Encourage them! Build them up! Pray for them! Live the testimony before them that they will want to know where your strength comes from!

Prayer: I praise You for being with me in the midst of my troubles and for reviving my strength to stand until it passes! I praise you for stretching out your hand against those who attack me and for saving me from the true adversary, the devil. I believe by faith that NO weapon formed against me shall prosper! I believe by faith that You do perfect the things which concern me, and that Your mercy does endure forever! I am the work of Your hand and You have promised to never leave me or forsake me! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment