Friday, February 12, 2010

Day 50

Do You Have Faith In Spite Of?

“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good testimony. By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.” Hebrews 11:1-3 NKJ

Believing in faith when things are moving in the direction of our prayers, hopes, dreams, and desires, is easy. But what happens when there is a shift in circumstances and it doesn’t look like our prayers are going to be answered, or that God is going to fulfill His promises to us? I have always thought of myself as one who is strong in my faith, but I must admit the trials we have faced over the last few years have put my faith to the test. Each time a trial has come I have stood at a crossroads and had a choice to make. I could remind myself of God’s faithfulness and stand strong in my faith, or I could doubt God, and grow weak in my faith. At times I have had to battle the doubt filled thoughts to the point of lamenting before the Lord, asking Him to strengthen me in my weakness. Each time He was faithful and I was once again able to stand strong in my faith.

Maybe you can identify with me because you have been standing in faith for something, but you have grown weary at times when a shift in circumstances has come your way. Today I want to encourage you with the wisdom I have gained during these times of trial so that you will be built up in your faith and filled with hope. May you be strengthened in your inner man as I remind you of God’s faithfulness to His people, and may you know that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever; and since you are His people, He is faithful to you as well. Though your circumstances may change God never does and He is in the midst of your trials, completing the work He began in you. Philippians 1:6 reminds us, “Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ;”

Do you have faith in spite of no visual evidence? We all know the story of Noah, but what most people don’t know is the fact that up until the flood it had never rained on the earth. The Bible says that water came up out of the earth in the form of mist and dew. They had never seen a rain cloud or heard thunder or seen lightening. So imagine what opposition Noah faced from the people who surrounded him and from his own thoughts, when he obeyed God and stood in faith during the 120 years it took him to build the ark. But he did and Hebrews 11:7 says, “By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.”

Do you have faith in spite of not knowing the exact direction you should go to follow a vision God has given you? Imagine what it must have been like for Abraham when God told him to pack up his belongings and his household and head off into an unknown land. People in his life must have thought he was crazy when he set out on his journey. But Abraham obeyed God and God was faithful as he walked in obedience. Hebrews 11:8-10 says, “By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he dwelt in the land of promise as in a foreign country, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise; for he waited for the city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God.”

Do you have faith in spite of family rejection and opposition? All of us know what it is like to face opposition from family. You would think that our family would be the most supportive and encouraging, but this is not the case most of the time. The story of Joseph is a great example of what it’s like to face opposition from family. He was sold into slavery, thrown into prison, and totally rejected by his family. But God was faithful and He blessed Joseph despite his family’s opposition. I want to encourage you to read the story in Genesis 37 – 50 and ask God to give you wisdom and understanding if you face family opposition or persecution.

I want to encourage you to read Hebrews 11 and then read the accounts of each person’s life listed. These are the heroes of the faith who through faith and patience inherited the promises of God. These people stood in faith in spite of circumstances. Some stood strong in their faith, while other wavered at times. It is important to understand that wavering is not wrong as long as you seek God in the midst of it. Then make the decision to believe His truth over your reality until your circumstances catch up with His truth. Also read the New Testament accounts of people who stood in faith in spite of circumstances like Paul, Jesus, Stephen, Peter, John, Peter, Phillip, and many others. Ask God to strengthen you as you read these testimonies of faith and make the decision to stand strong in your faith until you see your reality catch up to the truth.

Prayer: I praise You for giving me examples of people just like me who stood in faith and believed Your Word over their reality. I choose to align my thoughts with Your Word and when doubt or wavering comes, I will open Your Word and encourage myself in You. I believe by faith and I am filled with hope as I stand strong in my times of waiting. Thank You for being the same yesterday, today, and forever. I believe by faith even when my eyes do not see because my faith is the evidence of things not yet seen. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment