Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day 40

Quick To Listen! Slow To Speak! Slow To Get Angry!

“Understand [this], my beloved brethren. Let every man be quick to hear [a ready listener], slow to speak, slow to take offense and to get angry.” James 1:9 AMP

At first glance this verse seems like such an easy direction from James, but we all know that this is much easier said than done. For years I read this verse after times when I lost my temper or reacted hastily to a situation. Each time I would meditate on this verse, rehearse it, and make a commitment to apply it the next time. But time and time again, I found myself falling right back into the old habit and I would react negatively. I would love to say that there was a miraculous overnight change that took place, but there wasn’t. Learning to walk this verse out by the power of the Holy Spirit is a process.

Though I have matured a lot in this area, there are still times I stumble. I share that because I want you to know that you are not alone if you struggle with applying this verse in your life. I’m right there with you! What I want to share is the wisdom God gave me years ago when I read this verse after one of my times of trial; where I failed miserably at fulfilling this Scripture. The words of wisdom changed my thought process and made applying this directive much easier. Every time we face a trial that would cause us to bring this verse to remembrance, there are choices to make that determine if we will fulfill this directive or fail at it. It is obvious by what James wrote that he is talking about conversations that could potentially lead to an argument. In the midst of a potentially heated conversation time is of the essence and our response determines our result.

Wisdom principle one: In a conversation there are four voices speaking at the same time; the voice of the Holy Spirit, the voice of the person speaking, our own inner voice, and the voice of the enemy. Within an instant we have to decide which voices we are going to listen to. No matter what words are said by the person speaking, our own inner voice, or the enemy, we have authority to take our thoughts captive so we hear the voice of the Holy Spirit before we give a response. Reacting to their statement hastily instead of responding after an inner working has taken place will lead to an argument. So it is important to quiet ourselves initially, submit our will to the will of the Spirit, and align our minds with the truth of God’s Word.

Wisdom principle two: Understand that what the person is speaking is their reality but it doesn’t make it truth. God’s Word is truth! Do not give into a spirit of fear just because you want to right the wrong that is being spoken. Remind yourself of 2 Timothy 1:7. “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” So don’t be threatened by what is being said, but instead, trust that the Holy Spirit will grant you wisdom in the midst of the words being spoken. “Whoever guards his mouth and tongue keeps his soul from troubles.” (Proverbs 21:23) “Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; when he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.” (Proverbs 17:28)

Wisdom principle three: Decide if you are going to respond right then or wait until another time. Sometimes we forget that just because something has been said that deserves a response, it doesn’t mean that our response has to happen right at that moment. Allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you in regards to the timing of your response. “Do you see a man hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him.” (Proverbs 29:20) If you need a time out to gather your thoughts, take one!

Wisdom principle four: Decide what words you are going to speak and what tone of voice you are going to use. No one can make anything come out of your mouth except for you. It is in this moment when we have to make the decision to align our words with the Spirit and speak the truth in love so it brings grace to the hearers. Even a hard word can be spoken in love. “Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.” (Ephesians 4:29)

Wisdom principle five: Being slow to take offense or to get angry goes against human nature. It takes a concentrated effort on our part to make sure we are allowing the Spirit of God to speak in and through us during these times of trial. If we are thinking Spirit controlled thoughts and speaking Spirit controlled words, we will have Spirit controlled responses. There is no other way! “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control….(Galatians 5:22 – 23) As you apply these wisdom principles on a consistent basis you will begin to see the fruit of the Spirit manifest in your thoughts, words, and reactions.

Prayer: As I meditate on Your Word I give You permission to speak to me. I believe by faith that as I choose to allow the Holy Spirit to speak to me in the midst of a situation, I will have Spirit controlled thoughts, words, and actions. I praise You for loving me unconditionally and for being gentle with me while I am learning how to have a Spirit controlled temperament. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment