Sunday, January 31, 2010

Day 38

God’s Guidance Through Life’s Mazes!

“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye.” Psalm 32:8 NKJ
“Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” Psalm 119:105 NKJ
“The entrance of Your word gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.” Psalm 119:130 NKJ

When we lived in Oregon we loved to go to the Corn Maze every Fall. It was an exciting adventure trying to figure out how to get through it! Even though I knew there was an outlet, sometimes the kids would get scared thinking we would never find our way through. No matter how much I reassured them that I knew the way, they would still panic and get nervous. Sometimes they would grab hold of my leg until we got through the maze.

There are times we all experience that feeling of panic when it doesn’t seem like we can figure out how to maneuver through life. We read Scriptures like Psalm 32:8, Psalm 119:105, and Psalm 119:130 and we want to believe God knows the way, but oftentimes we still get scared, just like my kids did. This is where the enemy and our own thoughts of doubt begin to question if God is really in the midst of our situation. If we give into those thoughts we will retreat further and further into a spirit of fear.

God promises that He did not give us a spirit of fear. 2 Timothy 1:7 says, “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” The spirit of fear comes from the devil and it is his weapon of choice in getting us to doubt God’s Word. In times of fear when we are unsure of how to maneuver through a situation; we have to constantly remind ourselves to counter that fear with the truth of God’s Word, and stand in faith until our reality catches up with His truth.

We can pray, “I believe by faith that I have been given a spirit of power, love, and a sound mind. I choose to align my mind with the truth of Your Word. I rebuke the devil and his assault against my mind. I rebuke my own thoughts of doubt and fear. I believe by faith that You are directing me through this situation and I will stand firm in my faith until You lead me through it.”

I understand how hard this can be but I have learned that there are times I have to grab hold of God’s promises, just like my kids grabbed hold of my leg. I have to hang on tight, until He leads me safely through to the other side of a situation. I love how gentle He is with us, just like I was with my kids. Some parents would tell their kids to get over it and deal with it. They may even deal harshly with them, but I never did that. I understood that in their simple minds they needed reassurance and love. So God understands us in the same way and gives us reassurance and love in the process of guiding us.

Remember again what Psalm 119:130 says, “The entrance of Your word gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.” The Word of God, His voice to us, gives light, and He deals tenderly with us when our understanding of a situation is simple. When we release our fears to Him and stand firm in faith, He teaches us in the way we should go. Not only do we have the Word as our light on the paths we walk, but we also have the Holy Spirit as our guide.

John 16:13 says, “However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come.” Many people do not fully understand the Holy Spirit’s role in their life and they try to understand God’s Word on their own. This also leads to frustration when trying to maneuver through life because we were never meant to walk this path alone. God gave us the indwelling Holy Spirit when we came into relationship it Him, to lead and guide us; but we have to make the decision to accept His place in our lives.

So my encouragement to you today is to spend time with God through pray and meditation on His Word. Study all the passages where God was faithful to lead and guide His people. If you have been given to a spirit of fear when you don’t know which direction to go, ask God to open the eyes of your understanding in regards to 2 Timothy 1:7. If you have never accepted the Holy Spirit as a vital part of your Christian life ask God to give you wisdom and understanding so you can hear His voice and take His direction. If you have been dealt with harshly by your biological parents in times of fear and doubt, and you are afraid to grab hold of Daddy’s leg (His Words of promise); ask God to heal those wounds. Ask Him to reveal the truth about His tender loving kindness towards you, during your times of fear or doubt. God is faithful and He will lead and guide you through life, as you are willing to follow Him.

Prayer: I praise You for shining a light on my path through life and for leading me in the way I should go. I believe by faith that as I surrender my fear and doubt to You and cling to Your Word, You will safely guide me through life. I trust in You and praise You for never leaving me or forsaking me on the paths I travel on this journey of faith. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment