Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 23

Jesus Is In Our Midst! Do We Recognize Him?

"Now behold, two of them were traveling that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was seven miles from Jerusalem. And they talked together of all these things which had happened. So it was, while they conversed and reasoned that Jesus Himself drew near and went with them. But their eyes were restrained, so that they did not know Him." Luke 24:13-16 NKJ

“Now it came to pass, as He sat at the table with them, that He took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened and they knew Him; and He vanished from their sight. And they said to one another, “Did not our heart burn within us while He talked with us on the road, and while He opened the Scriptures to us?” Luke 24:30-32 NKJ

Over the years I have visited many churches. Some were affiliated with a denomination and some were non-denominational. If you would have asked me if I had an open heart and mind in regards to the churches, before I entered the buildings, I would have adamantly said “yes”! I have always thought of myself as an open-minded and non-judgmental person. But many times I walked away unsettled or annoyed with the experience of the service.

In the days that followed my visits I would recap everything from the presentation of the bulletin, to the worship music, announcements, to the content of the sermon. Unfortunately, most of the time, I would talk myself out of returning to the church the next week. There were times I would go back several weeks in a row, but within a short time I would once again talk myself out of returning for one reason or another. For years this pattern of action bothered me but I never understood the reason for my actions.

I have read the story of the two friends on the road to Emmaus dozens of times and each time I would ask myself, “How could these men walk with Jesus and not recognize him?” One day when I was studying it a feeling of great sorrow came over me but I didn’t know why. After I was finished reading I asked God to give me wisdom in regards to my sorrow. Later in the day the memories of my church seeking travels came to mind and God began to speak to my spirit.

I went back and read the passage again but this time I did it with regard to my church seeking actions. Here is what I discovered: These men didn’t recognize Jesus on the road to Emmaus because they were not expecting to see him. They only saw him with their natural eyes as a man traveling down the same road as they were traveling. Even though they had spent three years with him, eating, fellowshipping, and learning from him, their natural eyes were blinded to recognizing him. It wasn’t until they took the time to sit with him and he broke bread, blessed it, and gave it to them, that their eyes were opened and they recognized him as Jesus.

And then it hit me! My church seeking actions were exactly the same as this story. My focus had always been on what my natural eyes saw, and because of it, I failed to recognize Jesus’ presence in the lives of the people who were fellowshipping there. I only viewed them as people walking down the road of Christianity with me and because of it; I was blinded to seeing Jesus in those churches.

After this revelation I decided to change the way I approach a new church experience. I now enter the building asking God to open my eyes to his presence so I do not judge the experience by what my natural eyes see. Because of making this decision I can now go into any church and experience the presence of God in the midst of it, even if the program doesn’t meet my natural expectations. By allowing God to open my eyes to Jesus’ presence in those around me, I have seen His Spirit manifesting in my own life, each time I enter a new church. And like the men who finally recognized Jesus my heart burns within me as He speaks to me in church and opens the Scriptures to me.

All of us can learn a great lesson from the story of the road to Emmaus if we are willing to allow God to open our eyes to the presence of Jesus when we enter a church. People in church are human and church services are a natural experience. But if we allow Jesus to reveal Himself to us when we are fellowshipping, our spiritual eyes will be opened to His presence. I want to encourage you to spend time asking God if you have been judging church based on what your natural eyes see, the way I was. Then ask Him to open your spiritual eyes to see His presence instead of your perceptions.

Prayer: I praise You for opening my eyes to Your presence when I am fellowshipping with other believers. I believe by faith that as I allow you to open my spiritual eyes I will be blessed. I choose today to spend time with You so You can reveal Yourself to me. I believe by faith that as I do this, You will give me eyes to see, ears to hear, and a heart to understand. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment