Monday, June 28, 2010

How Do You Respond To The Outcast Or The Sinner?

“After this, Jesus went out and saw a tax collector by the name of Levi sitting at his tax booth. "Follow me," Jesus said to him, and Levi got up, left everything and followed him. Then Levi held a great banquet for Jesus at his house, and a large crowd of tax collectors and others were eating with them. But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law who belonged to their sect complained to his disciples, "Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and 'sinners'?" Jesus answered them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance." Luke 5:27-32

Imagine for a moment that you live in the suburbs and are invited to a celebration of the saints in the inner city, at night. What would your first reaction be to the invitation? Now imagine that you accept the invitation, but on your way there your GPS leads you down the wrong road and you find yourself smack dab in the middle of a drug infested neighborhood. When you look out your car window all you see are drug dealers doing deals with people driving by, prostitutes standing on the street corner, and gang members walking down the street. What would your reaction be?

Now imagine that you quickly make your way out of that neighborhood in search of your original destination; but when you finally arrive it is not much difference than the neighborhood you just left and you realize that you have to park your car on the street. What would your reaction be? Would you be able to enter the celebration in a mindset of peace and love or would your mind be filled with fears and concerns of what might happen to your car while you are there or what might happen to you when you leave? Would you be able to participate in the celebration and be able to minister to the people there or would you be anticipating the end of the celebration so you could get out of there and get back the comfort of your home in the suburbs?

I think for most people who have been raised in the suburbs and in a traditional church this experience would scare them to death! I hate to admit it but I also think that many of us would react much like the Pharisees did in this passage of Scripture if a friend told us they were going to a celebration in the inner city at night and going to be with people from questionable backgrounds or lifestyles. But what did Jesus do in a similar situation and what examples did He give us to follow in Luke 5:27-32? He taught us that ALL people are worthy to be called! He taught us that He is not looking for socially accepted people to be His disciples. He is looking for people who are willing to leave everything to follow Him! He taught us not to be afraid of the outcast or the sinner!

He taught us to be discerning so we can identify the people among us who are sick and in need of the Great Physician’s healing touch! He taught us not to be fooled by appearances, but to look past the outward appearance and into the heart of the man or woman who stands before us! And He taught us to walk in love and to be at peace so we are able to minister to the needs of the people, no matter where we are or what we see going on around us!

The scenario I gave at the beginning of the devotion actually happened to us and it was an eye opening experience that made this passage of Scripture come to life for me! I have always thought I live my life according to what Jesus taught in this passage and many others, and I have never thought of myself as one who would judge people and I have never been afraid to be in the midst of the outcast or the sinner. But on this night I was afraid and I did cast judgment on some of the people we encountered. I also realized that a lot of my good deed acts of kindness in the past were done in a controlled environment where I felt safe and non-threatened. Though I have an incredible heart to reach the lost I discovered that even I shelter myself from certain people or places where ministry is needed at times. Though it is very wise to discern where and when we are to minister, walking in fear due to inner judgments or lack of understanding keeps us from seeing and meeting the needs of those who need the touch of the Great Physician!

But when the Great Physician Himself, Jesus Christ, leads us and we walk in His peace and love wherever we go; we are able to be in any environment and reach people with the message of the Gospel. And if we don’t have the opportunity to speak to them or it is not a safe environment at least we will know how to pray for them and not be in a mindset of fear. We also won’t stand in a place of judgment like the Pharisees and criticize the very people we are called to reach. It is so important to remember that a person’s background, lifestyle, or choices does not exclude them from the call God has placed on their lives. We have to approach ALL people and every situation with Christ’s love and peace operating in us so we know what He is asking us to do.

Prayer: Lord help to me love with Your Love and to live as You have shown me how to live among the unsaved, wounded, and hurting people around me. Keep me from walking in fear and renew my mind to the truth that You have given me a spirit of power, love, and a sound mind. And keep me from judging the people the world calls outcasts so that I know how to pray and minister to them the way You have taught me to. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment