Friday, May 28, 2010

Are You Willing To Lay Your Isaacs Down?

“Then they came to the place of which God had told him. And Abraham built an altar there and placed the wood in order; and he bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, upon the wood. And Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son.” Genesis 22:9-10

I can’t even imagine what emotions were flooding Abraham’s soul as he took the very promise of God and laid him on the alter that day! Twenty five years he waited for the opportunity to hold the promised son in his arms, and now God is asking him to sacrifice him. How can this be? But that is exactly what God instructed Abraham to do and Abraham obeyed! Would you obey?

"But the Angel of the LORD called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” So he said, “Here I am.” And He said, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.” Genesis 22:11-12

What was God looking for when He asked Abraham to sacrifice his son? He was looking for his heart! He had no intention of allowing Abraham to kill Isaac! He didn’t want Isaac! He didn’t need Isaac! He wanted Abraham! He needed Abraham! But He didn’t just want Abraham’s life, He wanted His heart!

“Then Abraham lifted his eyes and looked, and there behind him was a ram caught in a thicket by its horns. So Abraham went and took the ram, and offered it up for a burnt offering instead of his son. And Abraham called the name of the place, The-LORD-Will-Provide; as it is said to this day, “In the Mount of the LORD it shall be provided.” Genesis 22:13-14

I am not sure that would have been my response if it was me. In fact I know it wouldn’t have been! But I am so grateful it was Abraham’s response because it is the hope I cling to with every promise God has given me for my life. Over and over again I find myself saying, “The-LORD-Will-Provide and I will put my faith and trust in Him for all the things He has promised!” I then go to Romans 4:13-25 and make my declaration of faith, knowing that what God has promised, He will perform! (Verse 21) What has God promised you and do you believe that He is able and willing to do it?

“Then the Angel of the LORD called to Abraham a second time out of heaven, and said: “By Myself I have sworn, says the LORD, because you have done this thing, and have not withheld your son, your only son— blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore; and your descendants shall possess the gate of their enemies. In your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because you have obeyed My voice.” Genesis 22:15 -18

Did you notice that God did not speak the fullness of the promised blessing until after Abraham was obedient to lay Isaac on the altar and put his faith and trust fully in God! And it is the same for us. Until we are willing to be obedient to lay the Isaac’s of our lives on the altar, releasing total control to God; we will not see God provide or hear God speak the fullness of the promised blessing! God wants our hearts to be so completely entrusted to Him that we do not question whether or not He is willing and able to perform that which He has promised! He doesn’t want our Isaac’s! He doesn’t need our Isaac’s! He wants us! He needs us!

God has an assigned kingdom work to be done through every person who has said yes to Jesus Christ. Ephesians 2:10 says, “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.” But in order to walk in them we must first be willing to release our control of them to the only One who can fulfill them!

I don’t know what your Isaacs are. It could be your children, your spouse, your future spouse, your finances, your job, your ministry, your health, your friendships, or a number of other things, but until you are willing to lay them down, trusting God completely with your whole heart; you will not see the manifestation of what God has promised and He will not be able to give you an even bigger vision of your future. This is the lesson I have come to learn and it is a daily exercise of faith to release my control to the only One who can perform what He has promised. But what I can tell you is the flood of emotions that fill my soul when I am taking the step of faith in laying them down, do not compare to the elation and joy that comes when I see God provide each and every time I am obedient to do it!

His promises are greater than anything we can think or imagine and when we are obedient, He is faithful to fulfill! I want to encourage you today to entrust your heart and your Isaacs to God, knowing that He who began a good work in you, will complete it! (Philippians 1:6)

Prayer: I release control to You oh Lord and I am confident that You will perform what You have promised for my life! I choose today to lay my Isaacs down and give You my heart completely, knowing that You are the God who provides! I will wait patiently on You in faith knowing it is just a matter of time before I see the manifestation of Your Word come to pass in my life! I praise You for being faithful to me and I will put my trust and hope in You and You alone! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment