Monday, May 24, 2010

The Greatness Of Our God!

“Give ear, O heavens, and I will speak; and hear, O earth, the words of my mouth. Let my teaching drop as the rain, my speech distill as the dew, as raindrops on the tender herb, and as showers on the grass. For I proclaim the name of the LORD: ascribe greatness to our God. He is the Rock, His work is perfect; for all His ways are justice, a God of truth and without injustice; Righteous and upright is He.” Deuteronomy 32:1-4 NKJ

From my lips each day I proclaim the greatness of our God and I fill my time with reading accounts of His great works in the pages of the Bible, by reading personal testimonies, and by listening to worship songs, but no matter how much I try to comprehend His greatness; He is greater still! Everywhere I look I see His greatness! From the butterfly who is in its cocoon attached to my patio wall, to the falling star that just shot across the sky, to the miracle births of my children, His greatness surrounds me each and every day! And yet there is no way to really fathom just how great He is because He is so much more than our minds can contain!

Each day I pray I will have eyes to see more of who He is so that I stay in a place of reverence for Him when I encounter times of anxiousness, doubt, fear, worry, guilt, or shame. It is in this mindset of reverence where I am held captive by His love knowing that He is so much greater than my circumstance and able to exceedingly, abundantly more than I can think or imagine! And yet even in
these times I cannot fathom His greatness!

Each day I pray I will have ears to hear His voice speak to me. I sit in times of silence and press into Him through quiet meditation. Sometimes He speaks in a still soft voice by His Spirit. Sometimes He speaks through His Word as I read the Scriptures. Then there are times He speaks through an interruption of the birds singing outside my window or through the voice of one of my children calling to me when they have a need. And other times He speaks through the sound of thunder and rain that is pounding outside my door and other times He speaks through a friend who is comforting me in during a time of need. And yet even in these times I cannot fathom His greatness!

The vast greatness of God is so much greater than what we try to define it as. The greatness of God holds the heavens in place! The greatness of God holds our faith in place! The greatness of God quiets our doubts and fears and at the same time it is providing oxygen for us to breathe! His greatness crashes on the shore in the form of a thunderous wave during a mighty storm and at the same time it is forming a pearl in an oyster shell far beneath the waves! It forms the baby in the mother’s womb and at the same time it is keeping a satellite in orbit! It heals the body from sickness and disease while at the same time it is forming an oak tree out of a tiny seed!

The greatness of God cannot be contained or restrained by anything in the heavens or on the earth or under the earth! I believe one of the greatest tactics of the devil is to get us to minimize the greatness of God in our minds so he can convince us that we can be overcome. He uses the deception of a great trial or tribulation to get us in a mindset of anxiousness or fear. He uses the deception of doubt so we do not believe God for what He has promised. He uses people to wound us in order to get our eyes focused on flesh and blood because he knows if we are focused on who our real enemy is we will battle in the spirit and put his works to death.

In order to overcome his attacks we have to constantly stay in a mindset that beholds the greatness of our God! It is only in staying focused on His greatness where we are empowered to believe by faith that He has overcome the devil and He is working in us to perform His Word on our behalf! It is where we are strengthened to stand in faith until we see His Word manifest in our lives! It is where we are filled with hope knowing that greater is He in us than he that is in this world! It is where we feel His presence in the midst of life storms and are comforted by the peace that passes understanding, knowing He works all things for our good!

The greatness of God is what holds us in place in His love by encompassing us with His grace when we stumble in our faith! It fastens us securely to the hope of glory as it reminds us that Jesus has already overcome the world and prepared a place for us to dwell forever in peace! The greatness of God surrounds us and if we are willing to fix our eyes on Him and see Him in everything in this life; we will not be able to keep silent in our faith! We will live each day to proclaim the name of the Lord to the unsaved world who desperately needs Him and we will be able to build each other up and encourage each other in the faith! May we all come together as one and fix our eyes on the greatness of our God so we are able to fulfill the Great Commission and prepare the way for our Savior to return!

Prayer: How great are the works of Your hands oh Lord and how vast is the greatness of Your works. I stand in awe of Your presence that surrounds me and today I proclaim Your greatness in the earth. May I continually fix my eyes on You and the greatness of Your love for me and Your provision for my life! Though my mind cannot contain the enormity of Your greatness I choose today to keep my mind securely fastened to it in faith so I am not overcome in the temptation to doubt Your words of promise! Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment