Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Importance Of Having The Word Treasured Up In Your Heart! (Part One of Two)

“How shall a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed and keeping watch [on himself] according to Your word [conforming his life to it]. With my whole heart have I sought You, inquiring for and of You and yearning for You; Oh, let me not wander or step aside [either in ignorance or willfully] from Your commandments. Your word have I laid up in my heart, that I might not sin against You. Blessed are You, O Lord; teach me Your statutes. With my lips have I declared and recounted all the ordinances of Your mouth. I have rejoiced in the way of Your testimonies as much as in all riches. I will meditate on Your precepts and have respect to Your ways [the paths of life marked out by Your law]. I will delight myself in Your statutes; I will not forget Your word. Deal bountifully with Your servant, that I may live; and I will observe Your word [hearing, receiving, loving, and obeying it]. Psalm 119:9-17 AMP

I am currently in a season of trial where I have discovered the importance of having God’s Word treasured up in my heart so I do not sin against Him or against people. With each passing day, as we wait on the Lord to perform His Word in our situation, my mind is bombarded with many words. I have to battle my own voice of doubt and fear, the enemy’s words of accusation and condemnation, and other people’s words of disbelief or questioning. I have to call to remembrance the Word of God that is laid up (treasured up) in my heart! I have to meditate on it daily in order to live these days of trial in a peaceful mindset. Some days I succeed and some days I fail, but every day God is faithful to restore my hope; as I renew my mind to His Words of truth! I can’t remember a time in my life where I was more grateful that I took the time, during the quiet seasons of life, to commit the Word of God to memory because His Words are what are sustaining me right now.

We moved to St. Louis, in faith, knowing that God has called us here to plant the church and resource center and to minister Christ’s hope and healing to the hurting people of the St. Louis region. I have shared in recent devotions how God miraculously opened the door to get us here by providing jobs and housing for us, through a friend. What I have not shared is that both of those fell apart shortly after our arrival and now we are in a hotel waiting on God to open up another door for provision in those areas of need. Can you even imagine what these past few weeks have been like for us as we have lived in limbo? Let me just say that it hasn’t been easy! But God has been faithful and every day as we call His Words of Truth to remembrance; we are built up and encouraged in our faith and our every need for daily provision has been met.

This has been a time when I have desperately longed to hear words of encouragement from human voices only to find myself at the end of the day without very many words of encouragement being spoken. At times I have waited to hear my phone ring but I have to say this hasn’t happened very often during the past few weeks. In fact my phone barely rings these days! I do have a couple of faithful friends who I have shared my pain with and they make sure to call me a few times a week to lift me up and encourage me. But what I have discovered during this time of trial is there really is only one man who ever walked the face of the earth whose voice I need to hear right now and His name is Jesus Christ! But I can only hear His voice because I have committed the sound of it to memory from conversations we have had in the past when I read the Bible and spent time meditating on it!

I cannot even imagine how I would be getting through this time of trial if I didn’t have the Word of God committed to memory and treasured up in my heart! I can tell you that I would be sinning big time if this was the case! For instance I have battled thoughts of anger as I have felt abandoned and I have been tempted to sin but I remember God’s Word that came through Paul, “When angry, do not sin; do not ever let your wrath (your exasperation, your fury or indignation) last until the sun goes down.” (Ephesians 4:26) And all anger goes and I am filled with peace. I have been tempted to worry when the daily provision for tomorrow didn’t seem possible but I remember Jesus’ words, “But seek (aim at and strive after) first of all His kingdom and His righteousness (His way of doing and being right), and then all these things taken together will be given you besides. So do not worry or be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will have worries and anxieties of its own. Sufficient for each day is its own trouble.” (Matthew 6:33-34) And tomorrow’s provision arrives just in time.

I have been shaky in my emotions at times, felt unstable, and been tempted to doubt; but I remember Jesus’ words, “So everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts upon them [obeying them] will be like a sensible (prudent, practical, wise) man who built his house upon the rock. And the rain fell and the floods came and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock.” (Matthew 7:24-25) And I am strengthened to stand firm on the rock of Jesus Christ and His Words of promise! I have been tempted to judge people but I remember Jesus’ words, “Judge not [neither pronouncing judgment nor subjecting to censure], and you will not be judged; do not condemn and pronounce guilty, and you will not be condemned and pronounced guilty; acquit and forgive and release (give up resentment, let it drop), and you will be acquitted and forgiven and released.” (Luke 6:37) And my heart becomes softened to the needs of others and I am filled with the love of Christ.

If I did not have the Word of God treasured up in my heart I would not be able to live in faith and believe for the things God has promised! I would not be able to minister each day to the people God is bringing into our lives. I would not be able to speak in the churches each week who are having us in to preach. I would not be able to encourage my husband or my kids. I would not be able to experience incredible joy in the little things we do each day with the kids. I would not be able to pray in faith and stand firm on God’s promises. I would be left to my own devices and full of fear, bitterness, resentment, disbelief, and confusion! In other words I would be a mess! But I am not a mess because I have the Word of God treasured up in my heart and I call those words to remembrance each and every day! And I know it is just a matter of time before my reality catches up with the truth of God’s Word! To be continued......

No comments:

Post a Comment